Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: D-Link DWA 140 USB on v9.10

Beans

Re: D-Link DWA 140 USB on v9.10

Hi!

I just bought a DWA-140 and noticed it was sadly the version B2. Luckily I got it working following these instructions: http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/dwa-140&ei=...3c0a%26hl%3Den.

Seems that the RT3070 driver available from Ralinktech already includes support for the DWA-140, so no need to patch the source or anything. Everything seems to be working quite steady - got even the pulseaudio raop sink module to work with my airport express, which was super !

Beans

Red face Re: D-Link DWA 140 USB on v9.10

Does anyone file a bug about that? I try to file a bug few minutes ago, but it always redirect me to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs.

I really hope this bug can be resolved in 10.04!!

My experiment with dwa-140 is below:

I use D-Link DWA-140 wifi usb stick. It worked well in 9.04, but stopped working after I upgrade to 9.10.

I firstly install linux-backports-modules-2.6.31-14-generic_2.6.31-14.16_i386.deb and reboot. And, it started to work again.

And about last week I tried to upgrade to 10.04 alpha to see if there would be something wrong with my box, and still my DWA-140 dropped again.

At that time, I searched for backports-modules again, then found out there were no backports-modules for Lucid!

So I gave up and reinstalled 9.10 with ubuntu-9.10-desktop CD, and it failed in the last installation stage unexceptly for three times. I was depressed but gave alternate CD a try, and my ubuntu 9.10 was back again now!

However, this time I use the method mentioned in the first post(blacklist the modules that my box displayed with lsmod, rt2800usb and rt2x00usb), and it works too!

Em.... so I was wondering what had happened with the installation of backports-module to make my dwa-140 work?

Beans

zerng07 - I'm glad you tested alpha 10.04 - saved me wasting my time testing the dwa-140 . haha.

I can't answer your question i am afraid but have you got the adapter running anything faster than 54g mode?

I'm really tired of the wireless just not working as it should.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi!

I also have the DWA-140 Rev B2. The french-guide that you guys provided was great and my wireless now works.

Problem is that it wont load automatically and I have to load the module after every reboot:
    sudo insmod / lib / modules / `uname-r` / kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko

and then restart networking and network manager.

I followed the french guide step by step.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Re: D-Link DWA 140 USB on v9.10

Quote Originally Posted by sablar_ocksa View Post
    Hi!

I also have the DWA-140 Rev B2. The french-guide that you guys provided was great and my wireless now works.

Problem is that it wont load automatically and I have to load the module after every reboot:
    sudo insmod / lib / modules / `uname-r` / kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko

and then restart networking and network manager.

I followed the french guide step by step.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Hi Sablar, I also made it following the French guide.
    If you want it to load automatically everytime you start system, you can just simply add following line to /etc/modules

rt3070sta

so this module will be loaded automatically.
    Last edited by linghao; January 31st, 2010 at 05:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: D-Link DWA 140 USB on v9.10

If you want it to load automatically everytime you start system, you can just simply add following line to /etc/modules

rt3070sta
    I added rt3070sta to /etc/modules but it doen't work. As i emntioned earlier it worked when i loaded it manually as described above.

And if i try to load it manually now this is what happens:

johannes@JohannesLinux:~$ sudo insmod /lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko
    insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.31-14-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rt3070sta.ko': -1 File exists

This means that the module has been loaded at boot, right? So i don't understand why it won't work. Now wireless isn't working at all. Any ideas or more info i can provide? Would really like for this to work...

Thanks

Updated 1/3 2010. Anyone?
    Last edited by sablar_ocksa; March 1st, 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ktuomain View Post
    This is quite easy to fix. Add the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file and then reboot:

blacklist rt2800usb

This file is owned by root, but you can usually edit it using sudo program to run an editor as a root user:

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

I hope this helps.

Worked great, thank you ^^

Beans

Hmm, I'm another frustrated "relatively" long time ubuntu user (2+ years). The irony is that I bought this adapter specifically because it was green lighted. I was compensating for my VT6566 built into my zotac gf3900g-e that never worked well - sheesh.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest 3070 driver (2.3.0.1) from ralink since I have the DLINK DWA-140 B2 version, but when I open the tar.gz it it's still referencing the 2870. The dat files are RT2870* vs. what I would expect: RT3070*. Also the french guide talks about checking the os/linux/usb_main_dev.c for a reference to my device ID: 07d1:3c0a , but that is nowhere to be found.

I think ralink might have just posted an incorrect driver version accidentally, which all leads to my ultimate request:

Does anyone have the tar.gz file for the version referenced in the french guide (2.1.2.0 or any version prior to the 2.3.0.1 for that matter) that they might be able to post here or email to me? I'd love to have this driver hell behind me finally. Seems like if it's not one thing it's another.

My email is my username here @yahoo.com.

Thanks very much in advance.
    g

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by georgevaccaro View Post
    Hmm, I'm another frustrated "relatively" long time ubuntu user (2+ years). The irony is that I bought this adapter specifically because it was green lighted. I was compensating for my VT6566 built into my zotac gf3900g-e that never worked well - sheesh.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest 3070 driver (2.3.0.1) from ralink since I have the DLINK DWA-140 B2 version, but when I open the tar.gz it it's still referencing the 2870. The dat files are RT2870* vs. what I would expect: RT3070*. Also the french guide talks about checking the os/linux/usb_main_dev.c for a reference to my device ID: 07d1:3c0a , but that is nowhere to be found.

I think ralink might have just posted an incorrect driver version accidentally, which all leads to my ultimate request:

Does anyone have the tar.gz file for the version referenced in the french guide (2.1.2.0 or any version prior to the 2.3.0.1 for that matter) that they might be able to post here or email to me? I'd love to have this driver hell behind me finally. Seems like if it's not one thing it's another.

My email is my username here @yahoo.com.

Thanks very much in advance.
    g
    OK, got it working thanks to finding an older driver attached to a forum here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...-solved-2.html

It appears that one of my two hints that there was something wrong with the latest 3070 driver from ralink was incorrect as this version too had the root dat files names starting with "RT2870", but the usb_main_dev.c did have a reference to my model in this earlier version. I'm not sure why the newer one doesn't but I'm up and running. Hopefully this weird find will help the next in line.

Good luck!
    g

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by georgevaccaro View Post
    OK, got it working thanks to finding an older driver attached to a forum here: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/wir...-solved-2.html

It appears that one of my two hints that there was something wrong with the latest 3070 driver from ralink was incorrect as this version too had the root dat files names starting with "RT2870", but the usb_main_dev.c did have a reference to my model in this earlier version. I'm not sure why the newer one doesn't but I'm up and running. Hopefully this weird find will help the next in line.

Good luck!
    g
    That was my experience too. Much looks like the RT2870 driver. Quite confusing at the first glance.
    Notes:
    • File names in the top directory contain "2870"
    • The Makefil has "CHIPSET = 3070". A good sign.
    • Many files in os/linux reference "3070". Another good sign.
    • File names in os/linux contain "3070" in the names. Woohoo!
    • The README_STA_usb file has errors. Like the insmod() commands listed there.

Looks like the rt2870 files were used as a template for the rt3070 driver and attention to detail was lacking.

*Still* not getting this futhermucker working. Problem:
    Code:
    /sbin/insmod rt3070sta.ko
    insmod: error inserting 'rt3070sta.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module
    Attempted on a 9.10 system.
    Any thoughts on how to get around this problem? Many, many thanks!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345