Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nVidia GeForce 310M support

Beans

nVidia GeForce 310M support

Hi,

I am Gaurav. I recently bought a sony vaio laptop, with nVidia GeForce 310M device.

I am new, and not very good with ubuntu. I downloaded a driver version 185, and installed, after installing which, I could not get any display at all. After trying to repair, in vain, I had to reinnstall the whole system.

I really need the correct drivers. I can see a version 190.42 of nvidia drivers, but that doesnt list my device model number, and so im not sure, whether this should work. Someone, also please tell me how do I repair, if I mess while trying this driver out?

Thanks already.

Beans

Red face Re: nVidia GeForce 310M support

I am having the same problem with the proprietary nvidia driver on my vaio. The graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 310m. When I installed the proprietary 185 driver (reccomended in hardware drivers), the laptop then would not start X at bootup and the screen went just black. After reinstalling 9.10, X now starts up but with 3d disabled...Any help would be much appreciated as I am a bit new to the ubuntu experience.

edit:
    just to clarify, the generic "nv" driver is working properly, but with 3d acceleration disabled. If I install the nvidia 185 restricted driver, the display goes black after selecting the linux option in grub (dual booting with win 7). The login sound still plays, but that's it.

any help at all would be tremendous, as none of the solutions I found on these forums has worked for me.
    Last edited by aoxo; January 29th, 2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Beans

Re: nVidia GeForce 310M support

Over at nvnews.net, there was a post about this same issue, but with the G210M. See if following these steps help you out: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=22

Today I bought a Sony Vaio CW (with a G310M) and will be setting it up with Linux later tonight. When I get things figured out, I'll post back to confirm whether or not the post I linked above fixes this issue.

Beans

@classic_gamer: thanks, following the steps on the above link solved my problem :] I am now running the proprietary nvidia-185 driver with 3d enabled. I had to reinstall the 185 driver first through synaptic. The program softMCCS kept crashing in windows 7 for some reason, but luckily I found someone who had uploaded their EDID to the forums :] that download can be found here if anyone else needs it.

Beans

Hey Gaurav
    How did you download the driver for your 330m chip? Was it through synaptic pck mngr or some other place online.
    I recently purchase VPCC series VAIO and ubuntu is super slow because of the driver problem. I dont see 300m series driver for linux-32 on Nvidia website.
    Browsing through packages I found nvidia-glx-180 with the description that 'says Nvidia binary Xorg driver'. I am using 9.10 ubuntu. Thanks!

Beans

The EDID file also corrected my problem on my new VAIO VPCF111FX, however I cant get an external monitor or projector to work, and I suspect that the EDID file specification is causing some troubles here, has anybody made the dual monitor work?

Beans

leo.ttl

What steps to install nvidia driver (which version) & can you please share your EDID because I have sony laptop with same video card 310M but with 13" inch screen.

Thanks,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Exclamation Re: nVidia GeForce 310M support

Ok so i have a new a505 -6033 laptop and ubuntu doesnt recognize half the things. I really need the GPU from this card so i can use pyrit. If anyone has any ideas besides asking nvidia or using an older driver unless you can explain how to do it simply. Thanx for any help if anyone can help... ive hit a wall and had to return to windows... please help i need aircrack-ng and pyrit!!

Beans

For Sony Vaio VPCCW series laptops:

1Download >sonycw.txt< to your "/home/username/" folder:

2Rename "sonycw.txt" to "sonycw.bin"

3Open terminal and paste these commands.

sudo mv /home/your_user_name_here
    /sonycw.bin /etc/X11/

sudo touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

4Paste this in xorg.conf and then save:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
    Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/sonycw.bin"
    EndSection

5Install nvidia-glx-185

6Restart the computer and your done

*******Kudos to egghead3 for this solution.

Original Links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1369420

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=140482&page=2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shaun_54au2 View Post
    For Sony Vaio VPCCW series laptops:

1Download >sonycw.txt< to your "/home/username/" folder:

2Rename "sonycw.txt" to "sonycw.bin"

3Open terminal and paste these commands.

sudo mv /home/your_user_name_here
    /sonycw.bin /etc/X11/

sudo touch /etc/X11/xorg.conf

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

4Paste this in xorg.conf and then save:

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0"
    Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/sonycw.bin"
    EndSection

5Install nvidia-glx-185

6Restart the computer and your done

*******Kudos to egghead3 for this solution.

Original Links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1369420

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=140482&page=2

hey guys ,i can confirm this method for the vaio S series vpcs117gg.

thanks so much

R
    Last edited by sti2444; April 13th, 2010 at 01:16 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast