Page 122 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1839

Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

It's been a while since I last posted. Just to update, I originally ran Ubuntu 10.04 for a couple of days before giving up on it before switching to Xubuntu Lucid (10.04) - which, in 3 months of solid use never fell over once.

A week ago I did a fresh install of Xubuntu 10.10 on the exact same machine, and guess what?, not a single hiccup either in nearly a weeks' uptime. As explained before, I simply don't know why Gnome falls over on my machine and XFCE doesn't - I'm mystified. But at least my machine's stable enough to actually get some work done, and that's all that really matters to me.

PS: NO, I haven't tried Ubuntu 10.10 yet, who knows, maybe it would actually work on my rig???.. but honestly, I've fallen in love with XFCE - the simplicity & configurability is awesome, best DE out there by a country mile...

anyway...

that's just my 2 cents.

Regards.

Beans

Let me tell you my story again.

I come from the land of Debian from the city of Squeeze where I live in GDM with GNOME.

Long story short I rebooting about 20 times daily going from the status of a Developer to a SysAdmin.

I downgraded the kernel from 2.6.32-5-amd64 to STABLE 2.6.26+17+lenny1 but did not fix the issue.

I upgraded the kernel from kernel 2.6.36.rc6-1~experimental.1 but that did fix the issue either.

Furthermore once the system starts freezing a hard reboot is required and then it starts freezing frequently as ever.

I have to power-off the computer for a while and then let it cool down before it starts behaving again.

I've switched to KDM+KDE lets see how things go for now.

In my 10+ years of computing I have never come across such frequent crash even on Windows.

Continuing my quest I came across this post yesterday which may be relevant.
    http://billauer.co.il/blog/2010/10/d...ze-stall-hang/

I only have a single pc otherwise I am just short of debugging this thing myself if I had access to another PC.

Beans

I don't see freezes related to disk load or memory use. Sometimes my machine freezes when it's idle (X is not in use) with the "blank" screensaver and the screen is locked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks KernelSpace.

The red hard drive light on my PC which freezes is lit permanently during a freeze. Is there an acpi connection? Possibly changing from sata11 to sata may have also helped. Adding pci=noacpi to the boot line in Grub2 here reduces my freezes. I have another PC running Maverick which doesn't freeze. It's essentially the same hardware, from memory it was upgraded from 8.04 Hardy Heron whilst the faulty OS was a fresh Maverick install.
    Last edited by Handssolow; October 29th, 2010 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

KernelSpace, in the comments this guy writes:

I didn’t read all 1200+ posts of course, but it appears like they are talking about a system crash. I’m talking about a temporary condition, which doesn’t compromise the system’s stability.
    And at least for me that's not what I get.
    Warning! Ubuntu might cause smashed Windows. Are you sure you want to continue? [y/n] y

Beans

Ok same story with KDM+KDE = frequent freeze.

Also tried TWM, same thing = frequent freeze.

Beans

so the chances are high that this is a kernel or X related bug right?
    Warning! Ubuntu might cause smashed Windows. Are you sure you want to continue? [y/n] y

Beans

garth.d

good for you man. i have tried xubuntu couple of minutes ago. it freezes even from live cd. i guess i have to stick with 8.04 and start looking for good deal on mac for my wife.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thumbs down Re: Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Random Freeze / Hang-up

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael3000 View Post
    so the chances are high that this is a kernel or X related bug right?
    I read that somewhere. Wish a fix would come, thank god this is rare, it is still annoying though!!!
    Last edited by edward1978; October 30th, 2010 at 05:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There wouldn't be a fix. It's a long time bug, I guess it will dissappear when we change our computers

Page 122 of 184 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124132172 ... LastLast