Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: someone told this about laptop batteries

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

someone told this about laptop batteries

That if you are not using the battery just remove it when you are running off AC power because it can damage the battery? Is this true? I have never heard this before, (and have a new 12 cell battery on the way for my laptop..)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: someone told this about laptop batteries

Li Ion batteries have life cycles. Meaning every charge and discharge is a cycle. When the battery is in it is always charging. When the pc is off it discharges. Turn the computer back on and it charges again. This burns through cycles and reduces the life of the battery. Mine lays on the floor most of the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you are running on AC power with the battery removed, be prepared to lose data if the power supply accidentally disconnects.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

We use Lenovo laptops, and have them all set to not charge the battery unless it falls below 80% to avoid this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lithium batteries are sensitive to heat, so if your laptops are constantly powered on and running on AC power, the amount of heat generated nearby the battery could negatively impact its lifespan.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I haven't really noticed any major reduction in battery life on my netbook from leaving the battery in all the time. I'm usually running it off AC power too.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thats very interesting to hear..... So if this is the case is there a way or an option in Ubuntu to disable the charging in Ubuntu unless you actually want the battery to charge?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've heard of it. I think it makes sense.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cptrohn View Post
    That if you are not using the battery just remove it when you are running off AC power because it can damage the battery? Is this true? I have never heard this before, (and have a new 12 cell battery on the way for my laptop..)
    That might have been true of old laptops with lousy charge controllers.

If the laptop is on AC, it shouldn't be in a constant charge/discharge cycle.

My latest HP has been run almost entirely off of AC for the past 3 years. I've noticed no appreciable degradation in battery life. My Compaq from roughly a year before that was frequently subjected to a charge then deep discharge cycle, and the battery's life was appreciably cut short.

Beans
    Hidden!

My previous laptop (one of the Toshiba A100 range) was run off mains most of the time, and the battery didn't last too well. By the time I gave it to my nephew, the battery would only last about 5 minutes. My current laptop (also from Toshiba) seems to have a longer battery life. Something has changed but I haven't bothered looking into it much.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast