Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to install Amd proprietary drivers after having Nvidia drivers installed

Beans

Post how to install Amd proprietary drivers after having Nvidia drivers installed

So i have Nvidia pc and i am sick and tired of having good driver epxiriance under linux so now i want to install amd proprietary drivers for HD6870 (yes my nvidia card just blew up and i had this card lying around)

When i opened additional hardware it didn't showed any options to install, so what can i do here ??

I know amd drivers are prone to braking so i am ok with stable tested by canonical release but if there is no other option i will be ok if i will have to download it from the amd website.
    No ppa as i understand right ?

One more thing i am using 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: how to install Amd proprietary drivers after having Nvidia drivers installed

Well, there are no AMD proprietary drivers for 16.04.

Simple as that.

They forewarned about the issue in the Release Notes:
    fglrx

The fglrx driver is now deprecated in 16.04, and we recommend its open source alternatives (radeon and amdgpu). AMD put a lot of work into the drivers, and we backported kernel code from Linux 4.5 to provide a better experience.

When upgrading to Ubuntu 16.04 from a previous release, both the fglrx driver and the xorg.conf will be removed, so that the system is set to use either the amdgpu driver or the radeon driver (depending on the available hardware).

More information is available at https://tjaalton.wordpress.com/2016/...-ubuntu-16-04/
    So not much more you can do.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: how to install Amd proprietary drivers after having Nvidia drivers installed

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Well, there are no AMD proprietary drivers for 16.04.

Simple as that.

They forewarned about the issue in the Release Notes:

So not much more you can do.
    This is why AMD is going bankrupt so i can't even grab it form their website?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

AMD is going bankrupt?

That's too bad, since fglrx is not included in 16.04 because AMD and Canonical are working very closely together to finish the AMDGPU and AMDGPU-Pro drivers to improve support.
    Last edited by QIII; June 1st, 2016 at 08:04 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Have you seen amd's stock price yes they are going bankrupt, so you want to tell me that i am good with amd open source drivers ?? but how do i enable them and get rid of nvidia proprietary drivers ? Or shouldn't it say that i am using open-source drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    AMD and Canonical are working very closely together to finish the AMDGPU and AMDGPU-Pro drivers to improve support.
    So they say... I can only attest good results in a couple of entry level AMD graphics so far, one notebook and one old desktop. Something similar to the Catalyst CC would be nice though but Intel doesn't have one either. That's probably why both always lag behind Nvidia. Both enjoy a more "equal" field in Windows and even Mac to some extend but not in linux.

Beans

Does anyone knows how to fix this, well i am not sure if it needs fixing but i have a hunch that there should be more options here

<Removed Big Image added as an Attchment>

Ok this is the command i used to remove nvidia drivers

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia-*
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    So far i didn't get a blank screen or unsupported resolution that i cant change (might be because i am using xfce) however still no option to use any other drivers in options.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; June 1st, 2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Attached image

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Uninstalling the NVIDIA driver is entirely independent of anything to do with AMD or its stock prices.

As far as AMD drivers go, with 16.04 the two driver choices are Radeon and AMDGPU. Which of the two is used will be determined by the OS based on which is supported by the hardware.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Uninstalling the NVIDIA driver is entirely independent of anything to do with AMD or its stock prices.

As far as AMD drivers go, with 16.04 the two driver choices are Radeon and AMDGPU. Which of the two is used will be determined by the OS based on which is supported by the hardware.
    Well i am doing what windows user would do, if you don't uninstall nvidia drivers from windows system you can't install amd drivers on the system because they system can't recognize the drivers. So i though that would be the same issue but it didn't work shouldn't it show me more options in the additional drivers or in 16.04 it doesn't for amd drivers

Here is my amd net book (15.10)

<Snip Removed big in line picture>

Here is what i see on (16.04 that nvidia drivers previously installed)

<Snip Removed big in line picture>

Is this normal ?? for 16.04
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; June 1st, 2016 at 08:50 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Linux users, like Windows users, should uninstall one OEM's driver before installing the other OEM's driver. There is no surprise in that.

15.10 != 16.04. Again, 16.04-will use either Radeon or AMDGPU as it determines based on which is supported by the hardware. Fglrx is not included, so there is no additional driver to display.

You have two completely different questions here:

How do I uninstall the NVIDIA driver?

Is there another choice of drivers for AMD?
    Last edited by QIII; June 1st, 2016 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast