Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Compile php-gtk2 for Lucid Lynx

Beans

HOWTO: Compile php-gtk2 for Lucid Lynx

This is a mini-howto i collected from various outdated sources & a little testing.

The php-gtk2 package is currently not provided in the ubuntu repositories, it also depends on the pecl extension cairo.

When finished, you should have php-gtk2 running with php 5.3.

First the dependencies:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion php5-cli php5-dev libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev libcairo2-dev re2c
    Then install pecl cairo from svn:

Code:
    svn co http://svn.php.net/repository/pecl/cairo/trunk pecl-cairo
    cd pecl-cairo
    phpize
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    Next, install php-gtk2 from svn:

Code:
    svn co http://svn.php.net/repository/gtk/php-gtk/trunk php-gtk
    cd php-gtk
    ./buildconf
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    Assuming all went well, configure the extensions to load with php5-cli.

IMPORTANT: in Ubuntu Lucid, /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/ and /etc/php5/apache2/conf.d/ is symlinks to /etc/php5/conf.d/
    This means that if you install php_gtk2 in this directory, it will also load when php is ran from Apache,
    causing server to crash. php_gtk2 is only meant to be run from the cli.

So first remove the symlink, make a ordinary cli/conf.d/ directory and copy the .ini files there:

Code:
    sudo rm /etc/php5/cli/conf.d
    sudo mkdir /etc/php5/cli/conf.d
    sudo cp /etc/php5/conf.d/*.ini /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/
    Then install php_gt2k + cairo extensions:

Code:
    echo "extension=/usr/lib/php5/20090626/php_gtk2.so" | sudo tee /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/php_gtk2.ini
    echo "extension=/usr/lib/php5/20090626/cairo.so" | sudo tee /etc/php5/cli/conf.d/cairo.ini

Finally, verify they load correctly

Code:
    php -m | grep php-gtk
    Good luck!

EDIT: fixes as suggested by Compyx
    Last edited by martin_lindhe; May 10th, 2010 at 08:43 AM. Reason: updated install instructions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Compile php-gtk2 for Lucid Lynx

Nice one! I finally got php-gtk working thanks to this howto.

A few comments:

You have a typo in your command to install the dependencies, it should read:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential subversion php5-cli php5-dev libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev libcairo2-dev re2c
    you had an 'l' too many in 'llibglade2-dev' and an 'l' too few in 'ibcairo2-dev'.

Echoing with sudo and IO-redirection doesn't work:
    Code:
    sudo echo "extension=/usr/lib/php5/20090626/php_gtk2.so" > /etc/php5/conf.d/php_gtk2.ini
    bash: /etc/php5/conf.d/php_gtk2.ini: Permission denied
    This can be fixed by running the command in a new shell:
    Code:
    sudo bash -c 'echo "extension=/usr/lib/php5/20090626/php_gtk2.so" > /etc/php5/conf.d/php_gtk2.ini'
    With these fixes php-gtk installed fine.
    "When in doubt, use brute force."

-- Ken Thompson

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Compyx View Post
    A few comments:
    Thanks for your feedback! I updated the orginal post to reflect your suggestions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Echoing with sudo and IO-redirection doesn't work:
    Code:
    sudo echo "extension=/usr/lib/php5/20090626/php_gtk2.so" > /etc/php5/conf.d/php_gtk2.ini
    bash: /etc/php5/conf.d/php_gtk2.ini: Permission denied
    This can be fixed by running the command in a new shell:
    Code:
    sudo bash -c 'echo "extension=/usr/lib/php5/20090626/php_gtk2.so" > /etc/php5/conf.d/php_gtk2.ini'
    Or even better, using tee, that's what it's for:

Code:
    echo "extension=/usr/lib/php5/20090626/php_gtk2.so" | sudo tee /etc/php5/conf.d/php_gtk2.ini
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    Or even better, using tee, that's what it's for
    even better, thanks!

Beans

I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Desktop and followed this howto. But when I test my PHP GTK installation by typing "sudo make test" after "sudo make", every test will fail.

During the installation I can't see anything going wrong...

Any ideas?

I installed both packages to /opt.
    Last edited by magicbuntu; May 8th, 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by magicbuntu View Post
    I've installed Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) Desktop and followed this howto. But when I test my PHP GTK installation by typing "sudo make test" after "sudo make", every test will fail.

During the installation I can't see anything going wrong...
    On my machine all the tests fail as well, however, the installation goes fine and PHP GTK actually works. So, I assume, something is wrong with the test suite itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

All tests failed with my install too, but php-gtk worked. Unfortunately I had to disable the extensions because none of my local websites would display anything with them enabled. In /var/log/apache2/error.log I noticed messages like these:
    Code:
    (page=mail&action=test:1238): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion `g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed
    (index.php:1239): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion `g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed
    I'm guessing not everything is working as it should. When compiling php-gtk I noticed some nasty compiler warnings about integers and pointers having different sizes and functions expecting pointers but getting integers, so perhaps php-gtk isn't 64-bit ready or not including the proper headers. I'll try to look into those issues when I can find the time.

-- Ken Thompson

Beans

All tests failed with my install too, but php-gtk worked. Unfortunately I had to disable the extensions because none of my local websites would display anything with them enabled. In /var/log/apache2/error.log I noticed messages like these:
    Code:
    (page=mail&action=test:1238): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion `g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed
    (index.php:1239): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_boxed_type_register_static: assertion `g_type_from_name (name) == 0' failed
    I'm guessing not everything is working as it should. When compiling php-gtk I noticed some nasty compiler warnings about integers and pointers having different sizes and functions expecting pointers but getting integers, so perhaps php-gtk isn't 64-bit ready or not including the proper headers. I'll try to look into those issues when I can find the time.
    Hello, I updated the first post with explanation & instructions how to install php_gtk2 for php5-cli only.
    Your problem is the symlink that ubuntu has installed between apache's php extensions and php-cli extensions, so apache loads the php_gtk2 extension and crashes.
    php5_gtk2 can of course not run from the webserver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by martin_lindhe View Post
    Hello, I updated the first post with explanation & instructions how to install php_gtk2 for php5-cli only.
    Your problem is the symlink that ubuntu has installed between apache's php extensions and php-cli extensions, so apache loads the php_gtk2 extension and crashes.
    php5_gtk2 can of course not run from the webserver
    After removing the symlink and creating a cli/conf.d directory everything works as expected. Thanks!

-- Ken Thompson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast