Page 68 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Acer Timeline 3810T

Beans

Re: Acer Timeline 3810T

Just bought 3810TZ one and expecting same problems, seem to be typical for this device.

Wi-fi disconnects and internal mic fixed by installing backport modules, suspend still not working. Subscribing to this thread.

Beans

Heya folks - I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a few months, and was hoping that a suspend/resume fix had finally been found by now....

The wiki claims success is possible with a specific 64 bit kernel
    but someone on launchpad says this is an isolated success case.

So, can anyone fill me in? I've got a 3010t with the su9400 (and haven't bothered updated my bios)... has any progress been made since November?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fictivetoast View Post
    Heya folks - I haven't been keeping up with this thread for a few months, and was hoping that a suspend/resume fix had finally been found by now....

So, can anyone fill me in? I've got a 3010t with the su9400 (and haven't bothered updated my bios)... has any progress been made since November?
    My intuition says that "success" was a successful suspend but not a successful wakeup.

Lucid might bring some relief. I'm going to give the alpha a shot when I get my camera (with the SD card) back from my sister (this bum doesn't feel like wasting CDs). But my hopes for a "out of the box" functioning internal mic are higher than my hopes for a functioning suspend/resume.

Beans

The battery life and suspend issues (also the HD playback isnt good in linux) make using linux for me infeasible. Who knows how long I will be using windows, but everyone is hoping a solution will come.

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyone know how to get brightness working on karmic with the new bios?
    It freezes when I try.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by caelestis2 View Post
    The battery life and suspend issues (also the HD playback isnt good in linux) make using linux for me infeasible. Who knows how long I will be using windows, but everyone is hoping a solution will come.
    Well,i can get 8 hrs on battery,and play full-hd in right way,for the suspend it doesn't work yeat.3810t (intel video-card)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tomfool View Post
    Well,i can get 8 hrs on battery,and play full-hd in right way,for the suspend it doesn't work yeat.3810t (intel video-card)
    +1

I've never had HD playback problems (su9400 dualcore), and even with wireless, a handful of firefox tabs, and banshee all running I get 10,4 watts and 6h40min power estimates - jumps closer to 8 without wireless...

Not being able to suspend is hugely annoying, but thankfully booting is lightning fast for me on koala so it isn't too terrible of a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

+1

I've never had HD playback problems (su9400 dualcore), and even with wireless, a handful of firefox tabs, and banshee all running I get 10,4 watts and 6h40min power estimates - jumps closer to 8 without wireless...

Not being able to suspend is hugely annoying, but thankfully booting is lightning fast for me on koala so it isn't too terrible of a problem.
    HD playback depends highly on the movie. 720p plays without a hitch for me (su9400 with intel graphics), but for 1080p I boot windows and play them in XBMC. Not really surprising since the flow of bits of a 1080p movie is about double that of a 720p movie. The only 720p movies I have trouble with are AVCHD coded movies from my camera (.MTS files), but I recode those into a more sane format for editing anyway.

VLC and most other players in windows give me the same playback performance as VLC in (x)ubuntu. So there's no real difference between linux and windows for me apart from being able to run the resource friendly XBMC. I love VLC but it is a bit of a resource hog.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miegiel View Post
    HD playback depends highly on the movie.
    Have you tried to use mplayer with VDPAU video output? Works for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tomfool View Post
    One of the first tests I performed on the laptop was a full-screen 1080p test. Every video I threw at it played flawlessly--even when output to an external display. I'm curious: What sort of 1080p video you had trouble with? I've tested h264/AVC (not sure what the bitrate was) and WMV videos up to 8000kbps. The WMV video ate up about 60+% of one CPU core but it still played without any framerate issues (in SMPlayer which is a front-end for mplayer).

I'm running an SU7300 CPU. For h264/AVC/MPEG, these videos should be accelerated by the Intel 4500MHD chip and the CPU shouldn't matter. For WMV and other codecs (e.g. Theora) it must rely on the CPU... So if you have a slower chip that could explain your issues.

If you're using Flash, well, full-screen 1080p videos only play properly in Flash in Windows. They don't seem to play well on Macs or Linux no matter how fast the system is. I've thrown a quad-core at Flash in Linux and it still skips frames. Point being, Flash sucks. Download the video in some other format and get over it.

The sooner the web gets rid of Flash for playing video the better off we'll all be.
    -Riskable
    http://riskable.com
    "Having someone to blame is not an effective IT strategy."

Page 68 of 100 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast