Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: ATI Radeon 9000 and Ubuntu 9.10

Beans

Re: ATI Radeon 9000 and Ubuntu 9.10

people help
    all that I have done nothing helped
    that's why i ask:
    1. when i configure xorg i should instal ati driver or this only for fglrx ??
    2. When i tried to install ati rdiver program said that i neet to uninstall fglrx folder at plase where is no such lofder/

could you tell me like a chiled whot i must to do&
    my video radeon 9200.
    Last edited by zimin; January 22nd, 2010 at 12:28 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zimin View Post
    people help
    all that I have done nothing helped
    that's why i ask:
    1. when i configure xorg i should instal ati driver or this only for fglrx ??
    2. When i tried to install ati rdiver program said that i neet to uninstall fglrx folder at plase where is no such lofder/

could you tell me like a chiled whot i must to do&
    my video radeon 9200.
    no support in fglrx for your card,use open source driver,xorg.conf's from this thread seems to bee working

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmx View Post
    no support in fglrx for your card,use open source driver,xorg.conf's from this thread seems to bee working
    What xorg.conf (from this thread)?

I think I checked this thread a while ago and I had to come up with my own xorg.conf which (after several tweaks) finally worked. This is in 9.10.

Fortunately, I don't have to do any tweaking or editing in Lucid 10.04 Alpha 2 so it seems they fixed it?

Beans

Thanks! The xorg.conf file above got my primary display working for my frozen D600 laptop. But, the external display wasn't working. I tried fooliing around with the xorg.conf per some posts on the web, but didn't get there. The driver fix worked perfectly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hufemj View Post
    Thanks! The driver fix worked perfectly.
    A poster above said there were no proprietary ATI driver any more for an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 card on a 32 bit architecture. The only current ATI driver available is the open source ATI driver in the repo. What's your ATI card and CPU architecture please?

Code:
    lspci | grep "Radeon && uname -m"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeePU View Post
    There seems to be too many variations on this configuration.

Could someone who has a working ATI Radeon driver pm me their xorg.conf and/or post it here? -Must have Mobility Radeon 9000 and using ati driver.

I'd be interested in giving it one more try. I have copy/pasted at least two different yet related xorg.conf files from this thread with unsuccessful results. The screen would flicker like mad and have artifacts and have screens overlapping one another (repaint issue?).
    As long as I know, you can't use "ati" proprietary driver on Ubuntu 9 or higher. But you can use generic "radeon" opensource driver. That's what I'm using now on a ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP. Here's my xorg.conf in the attachment.

I was experiencing a lot of crashes and I've tried a billion solutions, here's some of the most successful:

1) Enable Option "AGPMode" "4" in xorg.conf.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupp...sVideoCardsAti

"3D may hard-freeze X-server unless AGP mode is set correctly in Xorg.conf. If you have this problem, try adding Option "AGPMode" "4" to the device section of Xorg.conf"

For those who don't have a xorg.conf file, follow these steps:
    Ctrl+Alt+F1
    $ sudo service gdm stop
    $ sudo Xorg -configure
    $ sudo service gdm start
    Rename xorg.conf.new (in your home folder) to xorg.conf and copy it into /etc/X11 folder

2) Turn off Compiz. Go to Synaptic and remove all packages related to compiz.

3) Enable nohz=off option.
    $ sudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg and add nohz=off option on the first menuentry, should look something like this:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-23-generic root=UUID=ec5f3463-a301-4f6f-aa23-3cbb44dc140d ro quiet splash nohz=off

4) Disable 3D acceleration (poor solution). Install driconf from Synaptic. Select Preferences > Administration Tools > 3D Acceleration. Go to Debugging tab and disable 3D acceleration.

5) Uninstall applications with unstable activity like Firefox (due to flash player, try Google Chrome instead), Firestarter or Ubuntu One.

6) Remove pulseaudio and install alsa.
    http://jechem.blogspot.com/2010/10/h...untu-1010.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313253

7) Disable Hyper Threating in Bios options. This is very effective.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by kuric; December 8th, 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345