Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 no sound

Beans

Re: 9.10 no sound

Thanks coldsystem. The backports (whatever that means) worked for me.

Beans

Re: Sound issue solved

Quote Originally Posted by coldsystem View Post
    I followed those steps, but it didn't seem to have helped. I've still got silence. lspci lists this:
    Code:
    00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP72XE/MCP72P/MCP78U/MCP78S High Definition Audio (rev a1)
    Though the sound control panel says that the hardware is IEC958.

Also, there are several lines like this at the bottom of var/log/messages:
    Code:
    pulseaudio[2486]: ratelimit.c: 12 events suppressed

Beans

I wish I could say the same, backports and other actions still result in silence.

I have 2 audio cards, one on the mother board and a pci E-mu 0404 AUdio card, which appears as a Creative Audigy2

>lspci| grep audio
    00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
    01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value

>aplay -l
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 0: Intel ICH [NVidia CK804]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: CK804 [NVidia CK804], device 2: Intel ICH - IEC958 [NVidia CK804 - IEC958]
    Subdevices: 0/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

In sound preferences the output device is shown as Internal Audio Digital Stereo (IEC958) but the hardware tab is empty.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: 9.10 no sound [SOLVED]

I hope this helps some of you

I did a fresh install and after doing upgrades etc. I realized I had no sound. No sound hardware identified at all. I scanned the forum for help and found many suggestions but none worked. Then I ran across someone who said the problem, for some, was a conflict with the proprietary driver for the SmartLink modem. I deactivated the modem driver and had sound back.

Beans

Re: 9.10 no sound [SOLVED]

Quote Originally Posted by monton View Post
    I hope this helps some of you

I did a fresh install and after doing upgrades etc. I realized I had no sound. No sound hardware identified at all. I scanned the forum for help and found many suggestions but none worked. Then I ran across someone who said the problem, for some, was a conflict with the proprietary driver for the SmartLink modem. I deactivated the modem driver and had sound back.
    How did you deactivate the driver?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hello,

You can however de-activate your smarklink driver via:

Application > System > Administration > Hardware Drivers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by camilopr View Post
    I was with the same problem. I made the upgrade to 9.10 (from 9.04), and no sound. In my case, I was with the new ubuntu but using the old kernel. I updated my /boot/grub/menu.lst, to point to the new kernel, and I have sound now.

I hope this helps.
    this worked for me too, had chosen to keep old menu.lst and was using old kernel (2.6.28-11). Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Sound issue solved

Quote Originally Posted by johntinsley View Post
    I've given up and done a clean reinstall of 9.04
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsystem View Post
    @JohnTinsley:
    I completely understand your predicament. If I had had this problem with no resolution in a timely manner, I probably would have installed 9.04 to get sound working, myself.

@Everyone:
    I had a very similar problem to the original post, except the details were slightly different. I just purchased a new Dell laptop and replaced Windows 7 Home Premium with a slim install (~50 GB) of Windows 7 Ultimate (thanks to my MSDN subscription) and devoted the remaining ~450 GB to Karmic Koala. So I did not go through the upgrade method. Since Windows 7 was still playing sound with no issues, I knew my problem was software-based. Luckily, ColdSystem had the answer I needed.

From what I've seen on this thread, there are basically two scenarios. The upgrade from 9.04 -> 9.10 and the fresh install of 9.10. The most common fix for the upgrade scenario seems to be verifying that you're using the Karmic Kernel. For all other situations (including those upgrades that are using the Karmic kernel but still have no sound) the fix will likely be to install the backport of the Alsa drivers.

Thanks ColdSystem!

Beans

I had a sounds problem when I upgraded from 9.04. It was caused by a kernal problem because grub didnt properly update after to upgrade. The fix was upgrading to grub2 and then updating it. Hope this helps

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pronco View Post
    Hello,

You can however de-activate your smarklink driver via:

Application > System > Administration > Hardware Drivers
    There's nothing like that under the administration menu.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast