Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get past login screen after upgrade to 9.10

Beans

Can't get past login screen after upgrade to 9.10

Hi folks,

Just upgraded xubuntu from 9.04 to 9.10. I can't get passed the login screen though.

I click on the user, type the password, i get the fireflies and then it just goes back to the login screen.

I can ssh in from another machine (my laptop).

Can anyone help or give me some ideas of some log files i can look at? I understand 9.10 has a new login manager (gdm?)

Thanks in advance,

Kai.

Beans

Re: Can't get past login screen after upgrade to 9.10

Anyone? I'm still having this problem.

Beans

There seems to be a number of people having this problem across various forums. No one has had a reply.

Having never filed a bug before i am hesitant to do so until i know more about the situation.

Can someone help me out here?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Amblikai View Post
    There seems to be a number of people having this problem across various forums. No one has had a reply.

Having never filed a bug before i am hesitant to do so until i know more about the situation.

Can someone help me out here?
    Try switch to text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in and remove file $HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml, log out from text console, switch back to graphical login screen and try login again.

If it helped ... write here http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5932 "ME TOO"

Ivo(sh)

Beans

had the same Problem with my ePC 1000h netbook and my (very old) lcd-screen pluged-in durin install and first strt of 9.10. removed the display.xml and the problem was instantly gone..
    after that I have to say: 9.10 looks real nice

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivoshm View Post
    Try switch to text console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), log in and remove file $HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml, log out from text console, switch back to graphical login screen and try login again.

If it helped ... write here http://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5932 "ME TOO"

Ivo(sh)
    I tried this fix but after logging out and back in I got kicked back to the login screen once before being able to login properly. Usually it happens 4 to 8 times so I guess it's an improvement, but any other ideas on what could fix this for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That seemed to do the trick for me! Thanks Ivoshm!

Quote Originally Posted by ivoshm View Post

Ivo(sh)
    Edit: But, on another of my Xubuntu machines, this workaround didn't do the trick. There was no displays.xml there. I deleted the whole .config folder, but that still didn't do it.
    Last edited by peyre; December 2nd, 2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Added new information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had one of these today.
    I could login to root desktop though.
    In the .xsession-errors file there was an error stating something or other about the user rights of the .ICEauthority file. Right click on .ICEauthority and from the Permissions tab read and write rights to my user. That solved it.
    BR,
    -P

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Can't get past login screen after upgrade to 9.10

Thanks for the tips guys. This combination worked for me:

1.Login is as an alternat user with root access.
    2.read the .xsession-errors file - mine was complaining about display 0.0
    3. Follow ivoshm's advice here:

remove file $HOME/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/displays.xml, log out from text console, switch back to graphical login screen and try login again.

And it worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

hi,
    i had the same problem. i solved it by changing the displays.xml file. my post is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...51#post8402051
    i can log on now and i notice that even if i change my screen resolution, i can always log on with the new resolution.
    the displays.xml doesnt exist until you change your screen resolution.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast