Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: nVidia GeForce 310M support

Beans

Re: nVidia GeForce 310M support

hello all
    i am new member in ubuntu forums...
    i have facing a problem in install ubuntu..
    i have sony vaio vpccw with preinstall win 7. when i install ubuntu inside the window the setup will run and copy all file, after reboot a black screen is occure...
    help me out..
    thanks

Beans

Hi,

I have a Sony S Series VPCS137GG.
    Following the guide on using CustomEDID and updating my GRUB configuration, I've managed to get the latest NVIDIA Beta driver to work fine.

I can also get an external monitor to work in either Separate X-Screen or TwinView mode. However, I can't manage to configure the system so that when I'm connected to an external monitor, the laptop display is disabled (and when I'm disconnected from the monitor, the laptop display is enabled).

In the past, I've always been able to achieve this by setting up my monitors as separate X screens and disabling the laptop monitor (it always re-enabled itself if it did not detect an external monitor). If I try this configuration with the Sony, when I'm not connected to my external monitor it doesn't know how to re-enable the laptop monitor.

Does anyone have any ideas? I assume it's something to do with the CustomEDID configuration that we need to include in xorg.conf.

Thanks.

Beans

Angry Re: nVidia GeForce 310M support

NO NO No I was engaged with this NVIDIA driver with 2 days but i cant solved. I have Asus U30j Laptop with Nvidia 310M GPU. At first it was working good with orginal kernel drivers but when i installed the additinal driver at system. My screen became black. I tried all of the solutions previous pages but always same,black screen. I tried updated jockey driver doesnt work for me. I tried this with sentence to sentance but nothing

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

I removed all nvidia drivers

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*

I downloaded NVIDIA 256.53.** driver and installed

nothing happen. Uff. I got crazy. There must be a way.

please help I am using 10.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wirecricket View Post
    rampage355

THANK U, it works perfectly!!! But to be honest, i thought the newest Nvidia driver has same effect like driver 185 & on this way i didn't tried it. So the solve for my problem too easy))) Yes, it's linux))!
    Thanks once more))!
    wirecricket Excelent!!! the beta Driver 185, tested in the Toshiba satellite i7!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ericklan View Post
    wirecricket Excelent!!! the beta Driver 185, tested in the Toshiba satellite i7!

Erick, how did u do that???
    I`ve tried with every method posted here and I still can`t make it work.
    I have a Toshiba Satellite A665 core i5, with NVidia Geforce 310M.
    I`ve tried donloawding and installing the last driver published by NVidia website, and when I reboot the system, after selecting Ubuntu at grub it sometimes logs with no GUI, and it sometimes just get stucked in a black page loading...
    I've also tried by installing the package nvidia-glx-185 and also the nvidia-glx-185-dev and neither worked, the same error happends...
    I've also tried by downloading from the NVidia website the Beta versions of the driver!! And still the same...

And with all that combinations, I always tried booting with the default xorg.conf, when it failed, I edited it with the values that were suggested here, and never worked. (Instead of using the "sonycw.txt" I 'stole' the "EDID.bin" from Windows with the software someone suggested in the past, but as you guess, didnt work either)

Any ideas, someone??? :S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightwave, you have a laptop with nvidia optimus technology, it has both an intel graphics card inside and an nvidia, and there's some weird acpi stuff that does the switching based on needs, on windows you could choose which card to use from the nvidia control panel. unfortunately there is no linux solution that i know of for this new switching problem, in short there isn't stable support for nvidia optimus on linux. you can however run ubuntu perfectly fine just on the intel card (which was what was happening till you installed the nvidia drivers), but you cannot use the nvidia card, which is a bummer if you wanted to play graphic intensive games, but thats not what you do on linux anyways (do you?). Anyways, the simplest solution would be to reinstall ubuntu, and then NOT to install the nvidia driver (open source or binary blob), if you really don't want to to that then, you can look at this page:
    https://launchpad.net/~hybrid-graphics-linux
    (if you're familiar with linux)it has a little script to do the switching, you can try running it in recovery mode to switch back to the intel card permanently, i have a feeling that wont work though, another option:
    uninstall X, and reinstall it (personally I think this can be more of a pain than just reinstalling ubuntu).

Also, I have the same laptop, and I'm actually planning on working on getting the switching driver working, but till then gotta use the intel chip.

Beans

@dbeltrami

i also have an s137, but i cant get it to work, is there something different you did?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

anyone facing problem with the latest 11.04 unity and the nvidia gforce 310m 260.x.x.x or 270.x.x.x driver?

mine does not work. after i install the 260.x.x.x driver (270 in not in the synaptic package manager in mine for some reason) the login screen does not appear instead it gets stuck in a black screen...

is there a fix for this?

thanks...

EDIT: btw my laptop is Asus K40IE

Beans

Has anyone seen an update for the samsung qx410-j01? I downloaded the drivers from the nvidia site. I activate them via the Propetary hardware manager but nothing. I start the nvidia manager ask me to create an xorg.conf. When I generate one laptop fails to boot here is my current xorg.conf:
    # nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig: version 270.41.06 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com) Mon Apr 18 15:15:12 PDT 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Screen 0 "Screen0"
    InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "auto"
    Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    # generated from default
    Identifier "Keyboard0"
    Driver "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Monitor0"
    VendorName "Unknown"
    ModelName "Unknown"
    HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
    Option "DPMS"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device0"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device "Device0"
    Monitor "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth 24
    SubSection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubSection
    EndSection
    ============================
    Also seems like there is no support for the touchpad for this machine correct?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345