Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No brightness adjustment on samsun n210 (Intel GMA 3150)

Beans

Angry No brightness adjustment on samsun n210 (Intel GMA 3150)

Hello folks,

I installed Ubuntu Remix on my netbook samsung n210. Most of features work fine (some don't OBVIOUSLY) but there is one annoying problem - BRIGHTNESS. I cannot adjust it and unfortunately it's default to the lowest. It's very difficult to work on it.
    Of course problem is deeper then invalid key bindings.

It looks like default video driver doesn't support brightness correction for my card. I have nothing related to it in my /proc/acpi or /sys/. "Randr" doesn't know brightness option as well.

My video card is: Intel GMA 3150

Does enybody know how to fix it? I just want to use 90% brightness do I have to look for different drivers or something?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: No brightness adjustment on samsun n210 (Intel GMA 3150)

Check out this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1313390.

Various options seem to have worked for some. The title is misleading in saying 'Dell laptops', as if Dell had some special hardware made only for it's products.

Beans

Thank you for this link it helped in a way... Amendments to grub config only ******** it up however I discover I can change my brightness on grub screen and it will persists for the whole ubuntu session

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Are you saying that brightness keys work at Grub menu, but not after?
    It's always a good idea to backup any config file before editing, in this case /etc/default/grub. In case the change makes the system unbootable, you can restore the file to its default.

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub-backup

Beans

I wouldn't say "it works in GRUB" it's rather "it works outside UBUNTU".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: No brightness adjustment on Intel GMA 3150

I have a Toshiba NB305 with Intel GMA3150 and the screen brightness does not work when I install 9.10.

I've tried to install 9.04 and the screen brightness worked, but the resolution was screwed up (800x600).

Anyway I've gone thru most of the remedy that was posted in the forum already. Any help would be appreciate.

+1 Same thing here.

Any other ideas on how to fix this other while we wait for a decent driver release?

Tested new intel drivers http://intellinuxgraphics.org/download.html with 2.6.32 kernel and it doesn't work.

Tested Ubuntu Lucid daily build from 22/02/2010 and doesn't work either.

Beans

Hi,
    you can adjust brightness level by sending values directly to device, by setpci:

setpci -s 00:02.0 f4.b=ff

where 00:02.0 is the device address returned by lspci,and ff is a hexadecimal value <0,ff>. I have n210 running Debian, works well

Because it wasn't easy to control brightness this way, I've written a program that adjusts brightness, you can download source from here:
    ftp://x.servebeer.com/bright.c
    //Edit: Port changed from 51300 to default ftp 21

or here:
    http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~sieluzyc/bright.c

It's a _very simple_ program, but it allows you to increase/decrease brightness by predefinied step, check actual brightness level and set level to a specific value.
    It uses the same method that setpci does (write to file in /sys), so plz remember this can be dangerous - use at your own risk.
    App does not assign any key shourtcuts, you have to do this manually.

Wcale
    Last edited by wcale; June 1st, 2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: port change in url

Works perfectly on Ubuntu netbook remix 9.10 & samsung n210, thank you very much!

PS: I still wonder why Fn + UP & DOWN keys are not mapped as Fn + RIGHT LEFT do :/ any clues?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast