Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: No brightness adjustment on samsun n210 (Intel GMA 3150)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No brightness adjustment on samsun n210 (Intel GMA 3150)

I think, PPA content to control backlight should be merged into ubuntu and upstream

Beans

Had the brightness control problem on my N150 under 10.04. Followed #21 post, found out with "sudo gedit ..." that samsung N150 was already set up and no changes at all were necessary, and after reboot brightness control with function key worked perfectly. Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wcale View Post
    Hi,
    you can adjust brightness level by sending values directly to device, by setpci:

setpci -s 00:02.0 f4.b=ff

where 00:02.0 is the device address returned by lspci,and ff is a hexadecimal value <0,ff>. I have n210 running Debian, works well

Because it wasn't easy to control brightness this way, I've written a program that adjusts brightness, you can download source from here:
    ftp://x.servebeer.com/bright.c
    //Edit: Port changed from 51300 to default ftp 21

or here:
    http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~sieluzyc/bright.c

It's a _very simple_ program, but it allows you to increase/decrease brightness by predefinied step, check actual brightness level and set level to a specific value.
    It uses the same method that setpci does (write to file in /sys), so plz remember this can be dangerous - use at your own risk.
    App does not assign any key shourtcuts, you have to do this manually.

Wcale
    Even works perfectly on my ArchLinux64.install. Thanks for sharing..

Beans

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Fred's post gives brightness control to the NF210, the new dual-core one. It also adds all Fn key functions!

This fix adds all FN keys to Ubuntu and allows for release action, meaning the keyboard will no longer stay stuck. It works on UNR 10.04 and 10.10. You must reboot after editing the configuration lines.

Keys that work are:
    Sleep
    Battery Life
    Webcam toggle
    Backlight toggle
    Mute
    Fan mode
    Wifi antenna toggle
    Touchpad toggle
    Number Lock
    Sound up / down
    brightness up / down
    home

You will have to add:
    |*NF210*|

into the lines of models in
    /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules

and then add the line:
    ENV{DMI_VENDOR}=="[sS][aA][mM][sS][uU][nN][gG]*", ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="NF210", RUN+="keymap $name samsung-nf210"

(Copy and paste the line above it, then just change the model to NF210)

into /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules

This does not yet fix the network resume after sleep, and no, turning off wireless with Fn-F9 doesn't do it.
    Last edited by MASEngr; November 12th, 2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Added a lot more info... and made sure it was Fred's idea.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MASEngr View Post
    Awesome, awesome, awesome! Fred's post gives brightness control to the NF210, the new dual-core one. It also adds all Fn key functions!

This fix adds all FN keys to Ubuntu and allows for release action, meaning the keyboard will no longer stay stuck. It works on UNR 10.04 and 10.10. You must reboot after editing the configuration lines.

Keys that work are:
    Sleep
    Battery Life
    Webcam toggle
    Backlight toggle
    Mute
    Fan mode
    Wifi antenna toggle
    Touchpad toggle
    Number Lock
    Sound up / down
    brightness up / down
    home

You will have to add:
    |*NF210*|

into the lines of models in
    /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules

and then add the line:
    ENV{DMI_VENDOR}=="[sS][aA][mM][sS][uU][nN][gG]*", ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="NF210", RUN+="keymap $name samsung-nf210"

(Copy and paste the line above it, then just change the model to NF210)

into /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules

This does not yet fix the network resume after sleep, and no, turning off wireless with Fn-F9 doesn't do it.
    totally agree, awesome solution Fred Ora!!

EVERYTHING as posted above works; the only problem (that was actually THE problem for which I was looking for a solution) is that the brightness controls still don't work and this is ******* me off. (and actually the Eur button disable/enable the webcam...I would use more often the EUR symbol than disabling my webcam, but whatever..)
    At least now, as stated above, the keyboard doesn't hang if I press them by accident; but still I would like to control the brightness with the keys instead of doing sudo smartdimmer everytime...

but the network resume after sleep is charmingly working (though even before the patches )

any idea??
    my samsung is a Q320

thanx!
    Last edited by glósóli; November 17th, 2010 at 01:28 AM.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: No brightness adjustment on samsun n210 (Intel GMA 3150)

Try this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:voria/ppa
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install samsung-tools samsung-backlight
    sudo reboot

regards
    carlos

Quote Originally Posted by vimm View Post
    Hello folks,

I installed Ubuntu Remix on my netbook samsung n210. Most of features work fine (some don't OBVIOUSLY) but there is one annoying problem - BRIGHTNESS. I cannot adjust it and unfortunately it's default to the lowest. It's very difficult to work on it.
    Of course problem is deeper then invalid key bindings.

It looks like default video driver doesn't support brightness correction for my card. I have nothing related to it in my /proc/acpi or /sys/. "Randr" doesn't know brightness option as well.

My video card is: Intel GMA 3150

Does enybody know how to fix it? I just want to use 90% brightness do I have to look for different drivers or something?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

...wow i so dont know what that is ... =( so i guess im stuck with a dark screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lavanchy you are my hero! lol thank you ,this worked perfectly for me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MASEngr View Post
    Resume from sleep actually works fine for me on my new NF210, and the brighness controls work when I boot from live USB, but they don't work when I boot from hard drive. I'm thinking a patch broke it since the only difference between the USB and hard drive is I patched the OS on the hard drive.

I'm torn between re-installing again (since it's a new machine) or just leaving it for a while - it's actually a Christmas present for my wife so I think I need to just leave it working almost 100% and let her play with it for a while.

Beans

Well I went for the re-install, got it all working, then selected just security updates (no recommended updates) and that also broke brightness control... I guess I'll re-install again and start stepping through them one by one (over a hundred) and try to see which one breaks it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast