Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: No brightness adjustment on samsun n210 (Intel GMA 3150)

Beans

Re: No brightness adjustment on samsun n210 (Intel GMA 3150)

check the samsung tools

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by MASEngr View Post
    Awesome, awesome, awesome! Fred's post gives brightness control to the NF210, the new dual-core one. It also adds all Fn key functions!

This fix adds all FN keys to Ubuntu and allows for release action, meaning the keyboard will no longer stay stuck. It works on UNR 10.04 and 10.10. You must reboot after editing the configuration lines.

Keys that work are:
    Sleep
    Battery Life
    Webcam toggle
    Backlight toggle
    Mute
    Fan mode
    Wifi antenna toggle
    Touchpad toggle
    Number Lock
    Sound up / down
    brightness up / down
    home

You will have to add:
    |*NF210*|

into the lines of models in
    /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules

and then add the line:
    ENV{DMI_VENDOR}=="[sS][aA][mM][sS][uU][nN][gG]*", ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="NF210", RUN+="keymap $name samsung-nf210"

(Copy and paste the line above it, then just change the model to NF210)

into /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules

This does not yet fix the network resume after sleep, and no, turning off wireless with Fn-F9 doesn't do it.
    Awesome you guys! I have Ubuntu 10.10 on Samsung NF310. Samsung-tools worked. Force-release worked. Keymap didn't so I added "acpi_backlight=vendor" to GRUB config (http://www.voria.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=625) and vualia!

EDIT: this introduced the screen flickering problem but http://www.voria.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4750#p4750 solved it.

Although after some fiddling around with power state, lid and suspend/hibernate cycles I managed to make plugging cable out cause 'closed lid' action, which is very annoying if it is set to suspend. After a proper reboot the glitch didn't repeat itself though.
    Last edited by minj; March 26th, 2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Additional info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Ora View Post
    Here's another way for those still searching. All of the setpci answers say use at your own risk, I'm not sure what the danger is, but after much experimenting I got mine working this way without that setpci script. I have a N150, but it should be the same.

Here's what I did:

in synaptic package manager go to settings, go to settings>repositories and chose other software tab.
    Add the following repository: ppa:voria/ppa
    click reload on the main package manager screen then search for samsung
    check the boxes by samsung-tools AND samsung-backlight
    click apply and load the packages. close package manager and reboot

in the terminal run:
    sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules
    in the samsung section you will see a line with *N130*|*N140* etc. add |*N150* there
    also do the same for:
    sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules

substitute your model for N150 above if it isnt already there.

The first part loads the samsung tools and backlight utility. this will also get some of your other function keys working. you can see the mappings in system>samsung tools preferences.
    The second part gets the mappings working for the fn-up and fn-down keys. it also keeps the fn-keys from going crazy by forcing them to release after being pressed.

Hope this helps!
    (I am newbie btw)
    Hi,
    I got the the bit when you eneter "sudo gedit /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules" in to Terminal but when the textdoc opens there is nothing inside of it, it is just blank and i am useing the root account. Any idea what i have done wronge?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have a N150, but it should be the same.
    On my N210 I tried all above. Most of the Fn keys work except the backlight. I got this working on an N150 bot not on the N210 unfortunately. In the Grub menu it does work but it did that "out of the box" As soon as Maverick launches it's over. Anyone who can confirm that the backlight setting actually works on a N210?

Thanks,
    Peter

And... since installing the Natty upgrade it works. Whether this is due to the installs and settings I did previously or just that Natty is able to do this out of the box I don't know... Case closed for me.
    Cheers,
    Peter
    Last edited by Peter-E; May 6th, 2011 at 11:00 PM. Reason: add info - issue solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ok, if what was suggested here and on Dell laptops' post, I'm installing this ppa and app suggested here,
    Follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456