Thread: nvidia-setting problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question nvidia-setting problems

When trying to conigure via nvidia-setting using root (sudo) and then saving to config file I get the ' Unable to open X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' for writing.' in a message box - below is what i get on terminal:

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/share/screen-resolution-extra/nvidia-polkit.py", line 75, in <module>
        operation_status = main(options)
      File "/usr/share/screen-resolution-extra/nvidia-polkit.py", line 51, in main
        exit_code = conf.backupAndWriteXorgConf([options.backup_filename, options.filename])
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
        return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
        **keywords)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/connection.py", line 620, in call_blocking
        message, timeout)
    dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/service.py", line 649, in _message_cb
        (candidate_method, parent_method) = _method_lookup(self, method_name, interface_name)
      File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/dbus/service.py", line 244, in _method_lookup
        raise UnknownMethodException('%s is not a valid method of interface %s' % (method_name, dbus_interface))
    UnknownMethodException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Unknown method: backupAndWriteXorgConf is not a valid method of interface com.ubuntu.ScreenResolution.Mechanism

ERROR: Unable to open X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' for writing.
    Tried sudo nvidia-xconfig before nvidia-settings (used to work a treat before) and even removing the xorg.conf and the backups too to start afresh and still getting the above errors!

Drivers: 195.36.15
    GFX Card: nvidia geforce 8800GTX (768mb) PCI-E
    Monitors: Samsung Syncmaster 2494hw & Samsung Syncmaster 2232bw (both DVI)

Thanks in advance and regards, Kieran.
    Kieran Grace - Ubuntu Lucid x64 / win7 pro x64 user..

Beans

Re: nvidia-setting problems

Since nvidia-settings is a graphical package (runs in X), to start it in root mode you should not start it with "sudo", which is for character mode (terminal/CLI) packages. Use gksudo (for Gnome) or kdesudo (for KDE). So, Alt-F2 "gksudo nvidia-settings" is the way to launch it.

That may or may not be directly relevant to the failure you observed.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

usually that means that you have an line that is malformed or unrecognized by the nvidia-xconfig. the easiest answer is to backup and remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Tried gksudo nvidia-settings and still wont save xorg.conf and even sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf* to remove the config files inc. backups and then sudo nvidia-xconfig afterwards to remake the config files - yet again same errors!! :/

Oh well life is a trial lol

Regards Kieran.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Solved the problem by restoring from a clonezilla image, now working perfectly - being a long suffering windows power-user clonezilla/ghost images became my friend years ago, got me out of hot water countless times!

A kind thank-you for all who tried to help me.

Kind Regards, Kieran.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've got the same problem... but no Clonezilla backup to roll back to...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=150126

so you rolled back your nvidia driver with the Clonezilla rollback?

Did you re-upgrade the driver and no longer see the issue?

EDIT: I could start a new thread, or could you mark yours back as unsolved?
    Last edited by zim2dive; April 22nd, 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Beans

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...gs/+bug/477309

It seems to be a known bug, the fix mentioned in the comments did not work for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by taur View Post
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...gs/+bug/477309

It seems to be a known bug, the fix mentioned in the comments did not work for me
    thanks. good to know its not just me