Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: USB devices won't automount in 10.04 Lucid

Beans

Re: USB devices won't automount in 10.04 Lucid

I have had the same problem since after install Ubuntu 10.04, but none of solutions explained here doesn't fixed my problem.
    After installation Ubuntu doesn't "see" neither USB storage nor DVD device, but I noticed that when system starts with pendrive plugged to USB port after Login Ubuntu has properly detected all devices (including windows partition and optical drivers)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadman62 View Post
    update: ok after much loading and unloading of stuff with no luck i threw in the towel and applied this work around suggested elsewhere in this forum.

Open etc/modules with admin rights.

Add the following lines and save:

usb_storage
    usbhid

hald is installed along with pmount and libpmount0.0, not sure if pmount stuff is needed.

after applying the above both usb's and cd's automount and unmount and remount without issue.
    WOW, this worked! So WHY, after some sort of synaptic/kernel update, did usb_storage/usbhid stop getting loaded?!!? My god, the number of people whose usb sticks are now useless in Lucid (I'm using Xubuntu) and will have no idea about modprobe ... =(

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi i had same problem.
    I used ndiswrapper for installing wifi and its destroying usb, i dont know why, but when ndiswrapper is in use i cant access to usb: sticks, mp3 etc.

Just install wifidriver with ndiswrapper (and also wifi-tools etc.) and when you get internet access just uninstall ndiswrapper. Of course restart computer!

Its helped, for me

Beans

I had a similar problem as Arseniuss. The solution I found was to type on the command line:

sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper

Unplug/re-plug the USB device. Then, do:

sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

You do not have to reboot.

Beans

Smile Re: USB devices won't automount in 10.04 Lucid

Actually, things are much more simple to solve (really !).

Just install usbmount, like so :

$ sudo apt-get install usbmount

then just plug in your usb device and... it mounts

No reboot is necessary.

HTH !

Beans

Smile Re: USB devices won't automount in 10.04 Lucid

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Veltmans View Post
    Actually, things are much more simple to solve (really !).

Just install usbmount, like so :

$ sudo apt-get install usbmount

then just plug in your usb device and... it mounts

No reboot is necessary.

HTH !
    Thank you! Solved this problem in Maverick Meerkat (Netbook) 10.10. Just couldn't get USB drives to automount -- tried disabling "floppy", blacklisting it.. But all it took was installing usbmount!

Beans

kludge work around "solves" the problem

I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, and ever since, I have not been able to access my camera and cell phone with the USB cable.

None of the suggestions in this thread worked for me.

What did work for me was to boot 8.04.

When I installed 10.04, I kept my prior (8.04) hard drive in the box, but changed it to primary slave. That way, when I needed to access files on my prior main hard drive, I could conveniently mount it in /mnt/temp and copy the files.

Grub2 found my prior (8.04) hard drive, and I can boot that by selecting it from the grub2 boot menu.

My USB devices auto mount no problem when I boot 8.04. So I did that, and copied all the files I need from the USB device to the prior hard drive. (In 8.04, I cannot mount my new main hard drive, because 8.04 does not know about ext4.)

After I copy all the files I need from the USB device, I reboot and go into 10.04 as usual. From there, I can mount my old hard drive in /mnt/temp and copy all the files from the USB device on there.

It is a sorry state of affairs when one must backtrack to a 2 year old distribution to access a USB device.

Beans

I have Lucid installed and I spent a lot of time trying to resolve this issue but I have never given a serious look to my fstab till today. This thread helped me out, exactly the same error:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1496914.html

And I thought this was a major bug.

Beans

The title of this thread suggests that the problem may have been fixed in 10.10. Does anyone know, or should I try it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by likes2skate View Post
    The title of this thread suggests that the problem may have been fixed in 10.10. Does anyone know, or should I try it?
    I tried 10.10 (on the same laptop), and the situation is better, as the USB device is recognized, and I can open it with either Dolphin or Gwenview. But I cannot actually access the camera using either application -- there is a message "The process for the camera protocol died unexpectedly."

I tried installing usbmount, and adding usb_storage & usbhid to /etc/modules, and I got the same result (cannot access camera).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast