Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Support for Netgear WNA3100 USB Adapter?

Beans
    Hidden!

Support for Netgear WNA3100 USB Adapter?

Hi!

I just recently moved to a new apartment and got a new wireless setup. My roommate has the router on his computer and I have the wireless adapter on mine. I tried to connect to the internet in Ubuntu and found that I could not. I tried using ndiswrapper and a bunch of .inf and .sys files to force the adapter drivers to work and nothing happened. I even typed a bunch of stuff into the terminal (ifconfig, iwconfig etc..) and noticed that I had an eth1 connection listed and nothing else. I figured this was a problem.

I don't know much about networking and linux but would love some advice on this issue. The adapter I am trying to use is a Netgear WNA3100 Wireless USB N-300 Adapter. Is there something I can do to get this to work or is it just not going to be supported in linux?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Support for Netgear WNA3100 USB Adapter?

Anyone have any advice? I'd really like to have internet with Ubuntu. I think the WNA3100 adapter is absed on the Atheros chipset but I don't know which and why that is significant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

If you could post result from typing lsbusb in terminal we could hopefully help you...

open terminal then type
    Code:
    lsusb
    result should be something like
    Code:
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 15ca:00c3 Textech International Ltd. Mini Optical Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07d1:3c0f D-Link System 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SooperDoode View Post
    Hi!

I just recently moved to a new apartment and got a new wireless setup. My roommate has the router on his computer and I have the wireless adapter on mine. I tried to connect to the internet in Ubuntu and found that I could not. I tried using ndiswrapper and a bunch of .inf and .sys files to force the adapter drivers to work and nothing happened. I even typed a bunch of stuff into the terminal (ifconfig, iwconfig etc..) and noticed that I had an eth1 connection listed and nothing else. I figured this was a problem.

I don't know much about networking and linux but would love some advice on this issue. The adapter I am trying to use is a Netgear WNA3100 Wireless USB N-300 Adapter. Is there something I can do to get this to work or is it just not going to be supported in linux?
    SooperDoode -

I have a WDNA3100v2 on an old Dell Latitude D600, dual boot w/xp. I can't remember the exact procedures, but you might try going to the top panel of Ubuntu (assuming Lucid is your OS), click system, administration, windows wireless drivers and add the correct driver for your wireless stick.

If 'windows wireless drivers' is not in the system|administration menu, you may have to install it (use the SPM - synaptic program manager). It may already be installed but not set into your menus.

The driver I used is bcmwlhigh5 which can be found in a couple of ways;
    I got it from my winxp installation for the netgear stick - c:\program files\netgear\wnda3100v2\driver\winxp2000\

There are supposedly some copies of this driver 'in the wild' so to speak, but I did not have to use them nor desired to use one of them. Apparently the mfr's drivers can only be extracted from the install CD via - what else, installing them.

Essentially, I am using the ndiswrapper for the wireless driver from netgear. works pretty good, but I have a problem trying to get connected to one of my wifi routers via ubuntu, a netgear unit with a main [?administrative) and a 'guest' profile.

XP has no problems with any of my 4 wifi units (routers and an AP), ubuntu will not connect with my netgear sticks (also have a wn111v2) to the one particular router, although the same connection settings in network manager will allow me to connect to all wifi radios here via my linksys wpc54g.

Hope at least the windows wireless drivers (ndiswrapper) will help you get closer.

If this gets you closer but no joy, search thru the absolute beginners forum for posts containing ndiswrapper, netgear, windows wireless drivers. I will try to keep an eye on your thread as well and will see if I can find a more specific relative post which should be in my browser history but this goes back a couple months.

Good luck, enjoy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same problem with the NetGear WNA3100.
    I have a PC with XP and just added a partition with Ubuntu 10.04.
    I have followed: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885847
    In summary:

1. mike@mike-desktop:~$ ndiswrapper -l
      WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
      bcmwlhigh5 : driver installed
      device (0846:9020) present

mike@mike-desktop:~$ lsusb
      Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Bus 003 Device 002: ID 045e:0083 Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse
      Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
      Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc.
      Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
      mike@mike-desktop:~$
    2. mike@mike-desktop:~$ uname -m
      i686
    3. mike@mike-desktop:~$ sudo lshw -C Network
      [sudo] password for mike:
      *-network
      description: Ethernet interface
      product: 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
      vendor: Intel Corporation
      physical id: c
      bus info: pci@0000:02:0c.0
      logical name: eth0
      version: 02
      serial: 00:0f:1f:70:42:84
      size: 100MB/s
      capacity: 1GB/s
      width: 32 bits
      clock: 66MHz
      capabilities: pm pcix msi bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
      configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000 driverversion=7.3.21-k5-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.103 latency=64 link=yes mingnt=255 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
      resources: irq:18 memory:fcfe0000-fcffffff ioport:df40(size=64)
    4. mike@mike-desktop:~$ lsmod | grep ndis
      ndiswrapper 184677 0
    5. mike@mike-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
      [ 14.508061] ndiswrapper version 1.55 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
      [ 15.628443] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol: ntoskrnl.exe:'IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification'
      [ 15.628878] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:206): couldn't prepare driver 'bcmwlhigh5'
      [ 15.629642] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:108): couldn't load driver bcmwlhigh5; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
      [ 15.629766] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
      mike@mike-desktop:~$ dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
      [ 14.508061] ndiswrapper version 1.55 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
      [ 15.628443] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol: ntoskrnl.exe:'IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification'
      [ 15.628878] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:206): couldn't prepare driver 'bcmwlhigh5'
      [ 15.629642] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:108): couldn't load driver bcmwlhigh5; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
      [ 15.629766] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper

As you can see I have installed the 32 bit drivers in ndiswrapper that the NetGear CD installed on the XP side.
    But the wireless USB stick is not being seen.
    What do the errors in step 5 mean?
    What should be my next step?

Thanks

Beans

Same results as mglynch. Anyone have any ideas?

Code:
    sam@sam-linux:~/Downloads$ sudo ndiswrapper -i WNA3100\ Driver/WinXP2000/bcmwlhigh5.inf 
    installing bcmwlhigh5 ...
    sam@sam-linux:~/Downloads$ sudo ndiswrapper -l
    WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper, it will be ignored in a future release.
    bcmwlhigh5 : driver installed
    	device (0846:9020) present
    sam@sam-linux:~/Downloads$ lsusb | grep -e NetGear
    Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0846:9020 NetGear, Inc. 
    sam@sam-linux:~/Downloads$ dmesg | grep -e ndis -e wlan
    [ 4263.951756] ndiswrapper version 1.55 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
    [ 4264.151147] ndiswrapper (import:242): unknown symbol: ntoskrnl.exe:'IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification'
    [ 4264.151219] ndiswrapper (load_sys_files:206): couldn't prepare driver 'bcmwlhigh5'
    [ 4264.151398] ndiswrapper (load_wrap_driver:108): couldn't load driver bcmwlhigh5; check system log for messages from 'loadndisdriver'
    [ 4264.151417] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
    sam@sam-linux:~/Downloads$

Beans

I am an utter novice with Linux or Ubuntu. Just finished installing Ubuntu 10.04 on my laptop. I am able to connect to my ISP (broadband) through wireless router. It shows as connected on ubuntu interface. Inspite of this, most unfortunately, Firefox is unable to load web pages. I understand that this requires installing a driver called "iwlwifi" which is included in Linux kernel. How do I instal this driver? Please give me a list of simple steps if you can. Also read about ndiswrapper and I am all jumbled up with linux jargon. Pl help me resolve my issue. I shall be eternally grateful for your assistance.

Beans

Hi All,
    The problem we have is that ndiswrapper is reporting an unknown symbol- IoUnregisterPlugplayNotification. So ndiswrapper needs to be updated to handle this issue when the driver bcmwlhigh5 is being loaded. I also tried bcmwlhigh6 and the number of unknown symbols grew substantially. Anyway, the problem is in ndiswrapper and not anything you did. I have no idea when it might get fixed. I took a look over at sourceforge and I'm not hopeful.

Beans

I did some followup on this. From the inf file that you find in a Windows system in C:\Program Files(x86)\Netgear you will see that the adapter uses a Broadcom BCM 43xx device. On their website they mention that they support Linux drivers. I wonder if a driver for this device isn't available for a different but similar adapter. I'm willing to try it if we can find it. Otherwise we're back to square one with what to do about the bad symbol that NDISWRAPPER can't handle.

Beans

Hey all,
    I went through a big effort but successfully installed the WNA3100 wireless USB adapter in Linux. I'm using it right now to port to this thread. Each of you have the information in this thread to check the installation but you missed the fundamental problem. IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification. Here's what is required.

1.) From the install disk, a copy of bcmwlhigh5- both the inf and sys file.
    2.) go to Sourceforge and download ndiswrapper version 1.56
    3.) the wrapper for IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification needs to be added to ntoskernal_io.c at the bottom of the file-

wstdcall NTSTATUS WIN_FUNC(IoUnregisterPlugPlayNotification,1)
    (void *tag) /* Don't ever use this pointer */
    {
    TRACE2("%p", tag);
    TODO(); /* Probably Not, legacy function abandoned in Windows 7 */
    IOEXIT(return STATUS_SUCCESS); /* Linux doesn't use it either */
    }

follow the make instructions and then follow the instructions in this thread. There is more work to do on this function but it's a start. If someone else knows of a better way share it.

Hope I helped....a little

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast