Thread: Remove "mail" and "social networking thing" icons from panel

Beans

Remove "mail" and "social networking thing" icons from panel

Hi folks

I have just installed Ubuntu 10.4 netbook remix on my netbook and is quite satisfied, but i want to remove these two icons from the panel:

I'm not going to use them anyway. How can i do that?

Extra question: How can i make the sidebar around the buttons totally transparent?

Like that area.

/Jonas

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Remove "mail" and "social networking thing" icons from panel

Quote Originally Posted by JKJ View Post
    Hi folks

I have just installed Ubuntu 10.4 netbook remix on my netbook and is quite satisfied, but i want to remove these two icons from the panel:

I'm not going to use them anyway. How can i do that?

/Jonas
    Dunno how, as they are part of indicator applets. I would just use Cairo Dock and ban the panels. Although I have seen something here that was about going and editing the back end of the applets to change it. Dunno.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Right click on the user name and select remove to get rid of the indicator-me menu.

The mail is a bit more difficult as it is tied into the notification area. You best bet is to uninstall indicator-messages from synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Calash View Post
    Right click on the user name and select remove to get rid of the indicator-me menu.
    Doesn't that remove the session changer as well?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yes it does! I just tried it. If you go to synaptic and remove the 'indicator-me' package and the 'indicator-messages' package it will get the desired effect.

After that you will need to remove the applet from the panel and then add them again, Right click on panel, add to panel, select Indicator Applet and Indicator Applet Session to get your newly modified version.

EDIT: If you cannot add to the panel for whatever reason (as below), a reboot should give you the new look applets.
    Last edited by migs73; September 3rd, 2010 at 08:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by migs73 View Post
    Yes it does! I just tried it. If you go to synaptic and remove the 'indicator-me' package and the 'indicator-messages' package it will get the desired effect.

After that you will need to remove the applet from the panel and then add them again, Right click on panel, add to panel, select Indicator Applet and Indicator Applet Session to get your newly modified version.
    This.

I thought you wanted to get rid of the while thing, sorry about that. The instructions above will get you what you need.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by migs73 View Post

Worked perfectly. Could not remove and add the applets because the panel is locked, but it worked anyway.

Thanks..=D>

Beans

For those looking for a fix to get rid of the social networking, this also worked for me.