Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To: Make an impression with Linux to your friends

Beans

How To: Make an impression with Linux to your friends

An MPlayer How To:

Here is mine. First, make sure you have mplayer installed. (Enable the universe/multiverse repositories then apt-get install mplayer. A little terminal experience to be able to switch directories is also expected.) Go to the console. open a document with:
    Code:
    mplayer movieName.extension -vo aa
    This opens movie player with the text "aalib" output so your movies with be displayed in text! Make sure to "cd" into the movie directory first. Then Put the name of the movie in place of "movieName.extension." This is sure to wow your friends and impress them into using linux!!! I just wish I had the quake example ready...

Or you can go Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to a real terminal. Then go
    Code:
    mplayer movieName.extension -vo aa
    to get the movie. When done, do Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to gnome/kde. Nice thing is that it takes little battery power on a laptop too. (~_O)

Note: I'm halfway wondering if this thead with be removed for being oddball. Please, add yours too! It doesn't have to do with mplayer. It just has to make a strong impression!
    "So switching to if-then-else blocks might be good Computer Science theory, but using goto's is good Engineering. Since the Linux kernel is one designed to be used, rather than to demonstrate theory, sound engineering principles take priority."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How To: Make an impression with Linux to your friends

really instering
    ill have to rember that when showing off my os agine
    also another way to impress them is
    try to crash to a progam and show them it dont take the whole system with it un like it windows counterpart

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Even better then the "aa" is "caca" which has colour, although I don't know if it's build in Ubuntu.

Geek activity #4096: watching "The Matrix" using the 'caca'.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Wow that's awesome! Thanks for sharing. And "caca" worked in my mplayer install from the repos too so it is included by default.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

You can also do this with gstreamer, but it doesn't work quite right in Totem.

Preferences->Multimedia Systems Selector: Default Video Sink="cacasink"
    Then open totem, turn on visualisations (goom or syntaesesia; normal or large) and play some music.

Beans

I used the caca option and that was really cool

Beans

Freaking cool! I didn't know caca was related! It hurts my eyes so more than aa! That is so cool!

Edit:
    Take that statement back. After a bit of caca, aa hurts the eyes more. I hear you can play quake with this output too.
    Last edited by pizzach; October 21st, 2005 at 04:55 PM.
    "So switching to if-then-else blocks might be good Computer Science theory, but using goto's is good Engineering. Since the Linux kernel is one designed to be used, rather than to demonstrate theory, sound engineering principles take priority."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm going to have to give this one a try!
    "Sergeant Colon had had a broad education. He’d been to the School of My Dad Always Said, the College of It Stands to Reason, and was now a post-graduate student at the University of What Some Bloke In the Pub Told Me." - Terry Pratchett

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=77694

This made an impression to my friends .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Where to start? How about opening openoffice is trying to explain to them that this comes with the OS, not additional purchase required. Then you can show them the default browser, firefox, but if they don't like this, they can actually uninstall it, or if it freezes for some strange reason, they can still use their computer. Then show them the spyware on your linux system, oh yeah, there isn't any (subject to change with growing popularity). Viruses, worms, unwelcomed registry edits??? History. One could go on and on, but I don't want to bore everyone with all the things that we already know, but others simply refuse to see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast