Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Installer Shows No Partitions

Beans

Ubuntu Installer Shows No Partitions

I just tried to install Ubuntu into a new partition on my HD. I used Vista to create an 80gb partition, which shows up as unallocated space. When I boot into the Ubuntu installer, it takes me to the place where you should choose how to "Prepare Disk Space", but I never get that menu. It just shows me no partitions and all buttons are grayed out. If I try to go forward, it says there is no root. If I try to go backward, it tried to load the partition manager, but nothing happens. So I just had to exit the installer and reboot into Vista. Why doesn't Ubuntu recognize my hard drive/partition/SATA controller?

Gigabyte GA-P45-DS3L BIOS F7
    E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2
    (OC'd to 400mhz x 8 = 3.2Ghz)
    SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-15 (T800UX4GC5)
    Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb HD
    EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu Installer Shows No Partitions

You have to format the unallocated space. Ubuntu cannot be installed in unallocated space.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

I followed the procedure in this tutorial: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...rst.htm?page=2

Did they get it wrong? Do I just format the new partition as NTFS or what?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also make sure that it's not a problem with the Live CD that you are using, make sure that it doesn't have any defects. In my sig you have another tutorial of how to Dual Boot, maybe that will help you out.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mxcrowe View Post
    I followed the procedure in this tutorial: http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...rst.htm?page=2

Did they get it wrong? Do I just format the new partition as NTFS or what?
    You don't have too many options of formating in Vista so I think that NTFS would make the trick. Anyways the Ubuntu installer will format it to EXT3 or some other Linux compatible file system.
    "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?" Having trouble compiling drivers in a different kernel?, Dual Boot Tutorial Ubuntu Hardware Support List

Beans

jualin,
    I like your tutorial better...much more detailed. I'm going to follow that specifically and also take the time to make sure everything is backed up from my Vista partition before I attempt this exercise again. I'll also test the CD to make sure there are no errors.
    Thanks!

Beans

No joy. I scanned the CD for errors and it comes up fine. Tried to reinstall again after formatting the new partition as NTFS, and the Ubuntu installer recognzies neither partition. It just comes up blank. My hardware is nothing bizarre - hey, Vista installed on it no problem. But the Ubuntu installer doesn't see the Vista partition or the new blank partition. What's up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Get Gparted Live CD:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=271779
    Burn the iso to disk and boot from it
    See if it recognizes your drives/partitions.
    If it does; prepare your partitions ahead of time.
    Install, go Manual and use the already prepared partitions.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

I'll try it, but it appears the installer just doesn't recognize my HD or SATA controller, so I'm not sure what good it will do to create other partitions using another tool. Why wouldn't it see the valid partititions that are already there?

Beans

Ok, Gparted finds two NTFS partitions. What do I need to do to the partition I intend to install Ubuntu into in order for the installer to work?
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast